Duracrete PP fibres and Silica fumes in any concrete structure enhances many of its mechanical properties, especially for structures exposed to sudden impact or blast loading.
Various tests were performed in laboratory on properties of concrete and remarkable increase in properties of concrete was observed.
- Flexure Strength (70% increase)
- Compressive strength (45% increase)
- Tensile strength (61% increase)
- Silica fumes in concrete helped it to become more dense and durable
- The fibres are found to be an excellent material for enhancement of flexibility, a property which it induces into the concrete member soon after it comes in contact. It develops a strong matrix holding the concrete elements intact
- The beauty with which the polypropylene fibre inhibited the development of cracks in FC Mix wall after explosion was most sought for, followed by a remarkable increase in flexural strength and ductility of concrete
- The FC Mix wall was more flexible and it showed an increased value of deflection compared to that of a PC mix wall which indicates its safe and long-lasting use even after such loading
- PP Fibres and silica fumes help to enhance such properties which helps concrete to withstand explosives effectively
- Its use in blast resistant structures can be very effective and useful, which can withstand fire, impact, and shutter forces.
Acknowledgement: National University of Sciences & Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan